Sunday, June 5, 2011

Same Old Same Old

      This week seemed to be just a normal week for the most part. Just your basic day-to-day living. Nothing much new or exciting happened. But there were a couple things worth writing about. Sorry, no pictures to go with though.
      First of all, I have my own little strawberry patch! It's in a pot right outside my back door, but there are 12 "ever-bearing" plants, so I think it can be called a "patch". I am so looking forward to fresh strawberries just picked from my little container garden. That is if I manage to keep the plants alive long enough to produce fruit. I haven't had the best track record with keeping plants alive. Here's hoping I can at least get a few strawberries.
      The other thing actually happened last Sunday. I got a call from someone in our ward saying that "Brother V." wanted to meet with me, and so we needed to set up an appointment. I was so confused. I had absolutely no idea who "Brother Vee" (as I heard it) was. We've been living here and going to church here for almost 2 years, I should know who this person was, especially if they are in a high enough calling to have someone else setting up their appointments. Try as I might though, I could not come up with a face, or the calling (job, for those of you not familiar with the LDS lingo) the person held. I ended up asking where in the church building I should show up, hoping for a hint as to who I'd be seeing. When they said "right outside the bishop's (pastor's) office, it finally clicked. One of the members of the bishopric has the last name of Vlaardingerbroek. Yes, you read that right, if you could read it at all. I actually had to look up the spelling of it. "Vlar-Dinger-Brook". They were using his initial because his name is hard to say. Understandable, but a bit confusing.
      So, after church, I came home, dropped Jessica off, and then I ran back to the church for my appointment. I have a new calling now. I am the music director for the Young Women's organization in my ward. (Girls ages 12-18) I was a little confused. I figured it had to do with Girl's Camp coming up, but it is apparently more than that. I was asking for more information, and it appears that none of the girls, or their leaders have much musical talent/inclination, so I am all things music for the Young Women. So, while it does include teaching them music for Camp, it also includes just being there so they have opening songs on Sundays, and at the mid-week activities. I must admit I was a bit surprised. I grew up in a ward where there were 5-10 girls in each of 3 age groups, and 2-3 adults per age group. So with 15-30 girls, and 6-10 leaders, not having at least 1 person able to play the piano would have been a surprise. Based on the demographics of our current ward, I knew there wasn't a large group of young women, (we're mostly apartments, so young couples) but I didn't realize just how small it was.
      I went on Tuesday to the mid-week activity, and found that there are maybe 5 girls TOTAL in the Young Women's. There were 3 there, and it seemed the leaders weren't expecting any more (based on number of chairs set up). Plus there are only the 4 leaders that constitute the "presidency" (president, first counselor, second counselor, secretary). So, much smaller. It seems that there may be a total of 10 people (including me) in the Young Women's Organization in my ward. That makes much more sense as to why none of them could play the piano.

No comments: