Okay, well, I was going to write about this last week, but I decided I didn't want to jinx it. A couple weeks ago, Nathaniel started interviewing with a company named EMC for a job. The position would be basically the same thing he is doing now, but not outsourced. Currently, Nathaniel is working for Convergys on the NetApp project. NetApp is one of the top companies when it comes to large storage systems (think Google large) and Nathaniel was doing support for them. Technically though, he did work for Convergys, and was therefore outsourced. So, while NetApp is also in the top 100 companies in the US to work for, Convergys is not, and we were getting really sick of a lot of the junk they kept throwing at him.
Well, EMC is actually NetApp's main competitor, because EMC is the TOP company in large storage systems. (NetApp is #2). So he really would basically have the same job, but working for the actual company this time. Now, we don't know what EMC is like to work for, but I doubt they are worse than Convergys.
So, anyway, Nathaniel was applying, and got 2 interviews, and then was going to go to a 'job fair', but when he asked them for the information on that, they said that they actually wanted him to come in at a specific time/place for a third interview. YAY! So we scheduled that, and he went last Wednesday (week-and-a-half ago). They hired him on the spot. He will be getting better pay, the benefits will start immediately (day 1) and they are better benefits. When I say better, let me give you this example. Our out of pocket maximum at EMC will be what our deductible was at Convergys. I think I am more excited about that than about the $2/hour increase in pay.
Well, Nathaniel didn't want to tell Convergys right away, because too many people had gone to the job fair (same day as his interview) so they would know where he was going, and they would fire him. However, we both wanted to try to do the right thing and give notice, so they could have a few days to redistribute his cases. So, on Friday afternoon (a week ago) he went in and gave 1 week's notice. They asked him where he was going, and because he wouldn't tell them, they walked him off the floor. Well, we tried at least. Luckily, we do have enough saved up that we'll be okay, even missing the week's pay. However, with the way EMC does their pay schedule (twice a month, rather than bi-weekly) Nathaniel will be starting right at the beginning of the pay period, making it probably at least 3 weeks in before we get paid. That will be a little more difficult, and so I was stressing right at first. I am very much so a creature of habit, so having my carefully laid plans messed up threw me for a loop. But I got over it, and have spent the last week enjoying having my husband home all day, because those days will shortly be over. On Monday he goes to work at 8:45 in the morning.
Installing Zend Server CE on Fedora 16
14 years ago



1 comment:
I am happy for Nathaniel to finally get out of that place. Trust me. My blood pressure dropped and I started loosing weight (I put on weight when stressed) and Meghan and I have never been closer since I lost my job there. Enjoy the less stress :). BTW, I think not having insurance would almost be better than having Convergys insurance.
Post a Comment