I love fruit, and I wish I had the ability to can more, rather than just make jam, but unfortunately, I don't have that much discretionary money, and I need our grocery budget to buy food for now, not for this winter. So, I did what I could. Last week, I wrote that I had made raspberry jam, and listed off a few of the other things I was planning on making. Well here they are:
We have 12 quarts of peaches, 5 1/2 pints of raspberry jam, 7 pints of "sunset" jam (peach-raspberry), and 5 1/2 pints of strawberry jam. The sunset jam is one of the most delicious things I have EVER tasted, and is probably my new favorite type of jam.
At this point I've run out of my pint jars, so I get to wait until next weekend (payday) to buy more pint jars, and then I can make peach-pear jam and, if my parents have enough peaches they'll let me take, peach jam. Then, if I still have jars, (or when I can buy more again) I will make apple jelly. I found a recipe that makes it so you can use frozen (reconstituted) juice, as long as there is no sugar added, so we'll see how that goes.
I have also been scouring the Savers and the DI (well okay, I haven't made it to DI yet, but that's because its further away). Savers is walking distance, DI I have to drive, and I don't have the car all THAT often. However, when I went to Savers, I found 2 quart jars, a pint jar, and TONS of half-pint jars (I didn't buy all of them, only 8) so I'm hoping that if I go once a week to one of the stores (switching which one each week, so they each get visited every other week) then by the time next year rolls around, I'll have enough quart jars to at least make 4 batches (because the ones from this year will be empty).
Installing Zend Server CE on Fedora 16
14 years ago




1 comment:
Such pretty fruit. I love seeing the 'fruits' of my labors :)
Post a Comment