Monday, September 5, 2011

Moving Day

      So, this past weekend, we moved. Not very far. We moved down the hall. Literally. Same floor and everything. Near the beginning of the summer, we had put our names on the waiting list for the 3-bedroom apartment. (There is only 1 in our complex).  We didn't think we would get it soon, but may as well get our names on there. At that point, I don't think I even knew I was pregnant. However, events happened over the summer, and we got a call about a month ago from our landlady, asking if we still wanted the 3 bedroom.
      Now, I have this extreme distaste of moving, because of the packing everything up and unpacking, and re-organizing. So I hesitated, and said I needed to talk to Nathaniel first. Obviously, the more I thought about it, and talked to my Mom, and my best friend about it, I was pretty convinced before Nathaniel came home from work. Nathaniel had just gotten a new job (with a pay increase) so the increased rent payment wouldn't be a problem, it has 3 bedrooms, so definite room to grow, even more than 2 kids, because especially when they are little, they don't need their own rooms. Besides, if I didn't say yes then, who says she'd consider us the next time it came available. And really, just down the hall, with no stairs involved is about the easiest move possible, and could make it so that we can wait even longer before we have to move again.
      Obviously, I still talked to Nathaniel once he got home, but of course he said yes! He'd been trying to get me to get our names on the list about since we moved in to the complex (over 2 years ago now). I had said "no" previously, because I didn't want to move again so soon.
      So, we had less than a month to get ready to move. Luckily we didn't have to worry about finding someone to take our apartment, we're on a month-to-month contract, and we were staying in the complex. Yay! However, the first 2 weeks of the month were busy with family (Oscar and Carley) in town, and the next week was busy recovering from them being in town. So I didn't really get much (okay, anything) packed up until the last week, the week we moved. Thanks to help from Nathaniel and my Mom, I did get the vast majority of it packed up before Saturday at 9, when we decided to have the official "moving day". I hadn't quite gotten to the kitchen dishes, but most of the food was packed. So, Saturday morning rolled around, and we had a couple friends show up, my parents, Ethan (our nephew) and 1 guy from our ward show up. Good thing it was a short move. It went surprisingly quickly. Everything was moved in and starting to get set up and unpacked by noon! I spent most of the time down in the front yard of my complex keeping Jessica out from under foot, so I have been much more overwhelmed with the unpacking/organizing in front of me than normal, because I don't know where anything is, to know where to start. We did get the living room set up (bare bones, just the furniture) and free of boxes on Saturday, but then Jessica didn't take a nap, and Nathaniel and I were both hurting and exhausted, (he has a bad back, I'm pregnant, what can ya do), so we basically just corralled Jess, and pulled out her toys, and played with her until her early bedtime. Then we ordered pizza (not cooking in a disaster-area kitchen) and watched a movie, and got an early bedtime ourselves.
      Yesterday I did get the kitchen set up furniture wise, all of the food is unpacked, though some gets to be re-organized, simply because I'm a control-freak when it comes to my organization (especially in my kitchen) and some of the helpers unpacked food/dishes. I'm grateful for the help, and I've left them as is, because they are usable, so other things are far more important, but I can't quite consider my kitchen done yet. Well, that and the fact that the bookcase we have in there, is missing the books for about 5 of its shelves. They're somewhere in the 2 main piles of boxes. Again though. Not terribly important.
      Today's job? clean the old apartment, and get the bathroom in the new apartment usable. (We can use the toilet and sink, but not the shower and laundry.)

No comments: