Sunday, November 6, 2011

Transitions

      So, this post will be mostly words, though I may get a picture in at the end. That is because this week has been... interesting... to say the least. Last Sunday, we took the side-rail off of Jessica's crib. The idea is to transition her slowly, in steps, into a regular bed by the end of January, so that when Jacob comes, (probably in mid-February) she doesn't see it as him taking over her crib, because ideally the crib will have been out of her room (out of sight out of mind) for at least 3-4 weeks. So, have the side-rail off for 3-4 weeks, move the bed into her room, but don't try to get her to sleep in it for about 2 weeks, then try to have her sleep in the bed for 3-4 weeks with the crib still in the room, and then move the crib out of her room. That is my grand, logical plan that makes it so that Jessica doesn't feel kicked out of her bed, and that Jacob is taking over her life too much.      
      So, my grand plan, got put into motion on Sunday night, and let me tell you, this week has probably been one of, if not THE hardest of my life as a parent so far. (I know, I know, some of you are probably upset with me that my life has been so easy, because you've had much harder trips as parents) When Jessica was a newborn, barely home from the hospital, that was hard, she didn't sleep well, unless she was held, but that meant we didn't sleep very well. However, newborns do take lots of naps, and so if nothing else, I was able to get more hours of sleep throughout the day. As a 2-year-old, she doesn't sleep in our arms so easily, and she only takes 1 nap a day, (which has been iffy itself due to the transition) and when she is up, since she hasn't been getting the sleep she needs, she's been acting out, and getting into everything she's not supposed to, and hitting things, and people, to get more attention. So, with her lack of sleep, and being more ornery, and my lack of sleep, and being more ornery, its made things a little dicey around here sometimes. The worst has been when, at 2:30 in the morning, I hear her door open, and her come walking down the hall "Momma" as she's crying. What do you say to that? You just get out of bed, and try to get them to sleep again. Unfortunately, by the time 2:30 rolls around, she's had enough sleep that its harder to fall back to sleep, so, at least when I try to put her to bed, it takes her an hour and a half to fall asleep. By 4 o'clock when I get her back to sleep, it has often been close enough to my wake-up time, and I've been awake long enough, that my body has realized that I'm awake, and started demanding things, like a bathroom break, and food. I try to go back to bed, but it has sometimes taken until my alarm goes off before I've been able to fall back asleep. 2:30 is way too early to be waking up, especially if 2;30 wasn't the first time she woke up that night.
      This morning, I eventually brought her out to the couch, and laid there for about 20 minutes with her. She fell asleep, but couches aren't the most comfortable for this pregnant mama to sleep on. So after the 20 minutes, I picked her up and carried her back to her bed, hoping she would sleep at that point. Nope, as soon as I put the blankets over her and walked out of the room, she started crying again. But it was shortly after that when I finally got her to fall asleep.
      We are going to try a couple things this next week, but I'm not sure I'm ready for it. Supposedly the best idea, because toddlers really need to be able to soothe themselves to sleep, is to give them lots of hugs and snuggles and kisses and attention, when you first put them to bed, but then if they get up, just walk them back to their bed, no hugs, kisses, snuggles or words even. They want attention, and if you're giving them attention, then they will keep waking themselves up to get it. If you don't give them the attention, and just walk them back to their room, they will eventually start staying there themselves. I'm just not looking forward to the middle of the night, when I get to do that about 20 zillion (obvious hyperbole) times, so neither of us get any sleep, but instead of lying/sitting there quietly, I get to listen to her cry the whole time. So, we'll probably start that tonight/tomorrow. We may also try just moving her to her actual bed, because it would be easier for Nathaniel or I to lay down with her, and sleep next to her if its needed. We'll see what happens. I'm sure hoping its better than the last.
     On a happier note, Jessica is still enthralled in books.

I'm sorry the picture is a little fuzzy, but this is Jessica on Friday. (the only day she's allowed in the kitchen, while my friend Katie comes over to quilt, and we would rather the 2 kiddos be in easy sight most of the time.)  The kitchen is where my big bookcase is, and Jessica loves it. It was Les Mis a couple weeks ago, this book is almost as big at 1439 pages. It is Diana Gabaldon's "A Breath of Snow and Ashes" My daughter has good taste. I tried to get a picture of her sitting out on the couch 'reading' it (flipping pages) but I didn't get the camera out fast enough. Pretty awesome though, in my opinion.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Luck! We went right to the toddler bed, mostly because our crib doesn't come apart. Make a big deal about her getting a new bed, pillowcase, sheets, whatever...that way she is excited for her new "thing" and I don't think she'll feel kicked out of bed. If you try the no attention you'll have to stick with it. She will sense your weakness if you think "next time I'll lay down with her". Prepare yourself, (I think of all my frustrations and how this WILL make them better) then just do it. If you aren't quite ready, don't try half heartedly. Good luck again. Love you guys!

Carley said...

I thought I recognized that book! :D I'm sorry she's been waking up so much. Cranky toddler plus cranky mama makes for not much fun. Hopefully the transition gets easier... I think you're going about it the right way, slowly changing things up so she can get used to it. I wish you SLEEP! (:

Cynthia said...

Hang in there. She'll catch on eventually...maybe when she's 13 :)
In the meantime, maybe you could nap together during the day