Sunday, March 4, 2012

Lets NOT do that again...

     Yeah, this week... heh. Well, it was the first week that I was without help with my 2 little munchkins. I survived Monday and Tuesday, and started to get a hint that I would get the hang of it. I was stressed, but that wasn't terribly surprising, especially considering I'd been stressed even when I had people helping. Then Wednesday, things didn't go as planned. Those of you who know me well, know that I am very much a creature of habit/plans. When plans change at the last minute, I have a VERY hard time with it. Well, Wednesdays  I usually visit with my mom, and I had been looking forward to that fun time (and slight break). Unfortunately, she got sick, so I decided it would be best for me not to go. (so technically it was my choice to have my plans change, don't feel bad about this at all Mom) Well, without having my planned break, and the fact that Jessica was acting the part of a little monster most of the day, I had an emotional break-down that evening. Yay for a wonderful husband who will listen to all my worries, fears, and self-doubts without judging me for them, and just be supportive. Wednesday was bad...
      Thursday was worse. I had the fastest onset of a breast infection I have ever heard of. Wednesday night I was fine, Thursday morning I was feverish, achy, and I HURT. And it just got worse as the day went on. Luckily, my mom did come help in the afternoon (after her class) because by the time Jessica went down for her nap, I had a huge migraine, that the essential oils were only barely taking the edge off. Plus, despite layering on the clothes and drinking hot chocolate and eating warm food, AND turning up the heater I was FREEZING. Figured that one out. I had a fever of 101.5. Hmm... maybe this is a little serious. In the afternoon, after a nap, and food, and taking Excedrin (which I try to avoid, because the acetaminophen can be a problem for unborn/nursing babies, but the nap hadn't even taken an edge off my migraine) I felt a little better, so I was at least able to run down to doTERRA to pick up my essential oils (which was good, because I needed the Melaleuca oil).  Yeah, that feeling better didn't last long. Once Nathaniel got home, he took charge of Jessica, and food, and cleaning. So I was just taking care of Jacob and myself, and since Jacob sleeps probably 18 of the 24 hours (and eats another 4 of the hours) that didn't take much. By the end of the evening, I was literally chattering (despite still being bundled up, eating more warm food, and the heater still being turned up) and shaking uncontrollably because of how cold I was. Plus my eyes were burning. So I checked my temperature again. It had gone up a little to 101.8. "hmm... okay, I'll check it first thing in the morning, if it isn't below the 101.5, I'll call the doctor).
      Friday was both better and worse. Both times Jacob had eaten during the night my fever went up, finally spiking at 102.2. I then woke up with the aches, and headache still there, and the breast infection had overtaken about 2/3 of my right breast, and I was starting another in my left. (OWWWW!!!) I asked Nathaniel to stay home, because there was no way I'd be able to take care of Jessica at all with how much pain I was in, and I couldn't guarantee that Mom would be able to come over at all even, let alone all day. My fever had gone down to 100.8, so we didn't call the doctor at all that day, I spent the day sleeping, feeding Jacob, and trying to work out the clogged/infected milk ducts. Not fun. Late in the evening, after my temperature had again spiked to 102, (though possibly from being under the multiple blankets for the previous 2 hours) we called my Dad to have him help Nathaniel give me a blessing. It was a wonderful experience, but a little to sacred to me to share.  We also decided to wait and see about going to the instacare, because I had checked my temp again, after having been out of the covers for almost an hour, and it was back down at the 100.8.
     Saturday, while I wasn't instantly better (and in no pain) the fever and most of the aches/soreness were gone. (My neck was still really tight) I still had a few clogged ducts, but they weren't inflamed anymore, and I had them gone by noon. (Well, at least, I was pretty sure I had gotten rid of the clogs, but I was left with enough bruised tissue to not be sure). I still spent the day recovering though. So, now that I was feeling better, I was left wondering what had happened. I'd had clogged ducts, and 1 breast infection with Jessica, but I'd always had warning. I could feel the duct getting hard, and was able to get rid of the clog within 24 hours, and not get feverish most of the time (the 1 breast infection was about 5 days after Jessica was born). How had it come on so fast and hard, that I'd not been able to prepare at all?
     1 word: Sugar. We determined a while ago that the most likely reason for my body's intestinal reaction to sugar (my "allergy" as I call it for simplicity sake) was that I had an overgrowth of Candida Albicans (a type of yeast) Candida feeds on sugar, and can also grow in the milk ducts. Often with Jessica when I would get the clogged ducts would be right as my milk supply increased. It didn't make sense that the extra milk alone would cause the clog, whereas if something was making it a little thicker/clogged to start with, extra milk (and cream and sugar) would then clog it. Well, I'd gotten my candida problem mostly under control (though admittedly, I was struggling with avoiding sugar) but then I had Jacob, and got stressed, and started eating more and more and MORE sugar, in about every form I could find it. It didn't take long apparently for the candida to multiply enough to cause the damage. The intestinal discomfort can sometimes be worth it. NOTHING is yummy enough to be worth what I just went through. Pretty sure I'll be avoiding sugar even more so for the next year (approximately) so as to avoid any more of those.

Sorry, no pictures this week, it was a bit rough.

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

So sorry I wasn't able to help more. I'm a bass these days, and my throat isn't very happy. Neither are my sinuses! Glad you're doing better.