The Saturday after we got back from Washington (3 days later) we had Jacob's baby blessing. Now, I know I have some readers who aren't, and have never been LDS, so I'm going to explain a little first. Keep in mind, this may not be 100% doctrinally accurate. This is 'Gospel according to Sarah' based on my reading scriptures/listening to prophets, as well as my own interpretation, and what seems to make the most sense in my mind. So, to give a blessing, the men use the Priesthood. The Priesthood is the Power of God, given to men to act in His name. As a member of the LDS church, I believe that the Priesthood has been given to the members of my church, and that we have been given the authority to use it, so long as the men are worthy. A blessing utilizes the priesthood to call directly upon God's power on behalf of the person being blessed. I personally have seen and felt miraculous things from blessings. A baby blessing does 2 things. One, it puts the name of the baby on the records of the church. Two, (and in my opinion the more important aspect) the father (or whoever was asked) acts as a mouthpiece, speaking the things that God himself wants to bless the child with, to act as guidance and comfort throughout their life. These are words directly from God, our Heavenly FATHER as to what he wants from his precious child that he entrusted to parents here on earth.
So, that is what blessings are, and so, on that Saturday, the 23rd of June, we gathered everyone together in our little apartment and had Jacob's baby blessing. The blessing was beautiful, and the company was very enjoyable, if a little cramped. ;) According to one count, we had 42 people all crammed into our little apartment at one point. My paternal grandparents had been flown in for a wedding that was also that weekend, so Jacob was able to have both surviving sets of great-grandparents there, as well as both Grandpas. Papa had come in for one of Nathaniel's brothers, and so was also able to be there for the blessing. It was a wonderful day, but I think next time, I need to the get-together afterwards at a different location if we're still living here.
Here is Jacob in his little outfit. I tried to find a white shirt, but it seems to be a seasonal (i.e. Chirstmas) item. I personally prefer to have something that they may wear again, as opposed to the entirely white outfits.
Great-Grandma and -Grandpa Hiatt
Great-Grandma Newbold (Sarah's Mom's Mom) Jacob had a grand time playing with those beads for much of the afternoon.
Great-Grandpa Newbold
Also, maybe, next time I shouldn't get quite as carried away on the food preparation. :D I seem to have overdone it... a lot.



1 comment:
I would have eaten up all the food, except for the meat. (; Cute pictures! I'm glad that it was a wonderful day!
Post a Comment