Monday, July 30, 2012

....

     Yeah, that's how my mind is right now. I know other people have a lot more kids, and get a lot less sleep than me, but I just feel like I'm running on empty most of the time. So, anyway. As I said last week, I've been trying to give Jessica lots of experiences, so I've been trying to take her to do things.
     This past week we went to the dinosaur museum up at Thanksgiving Point. It's actually a rather funny story. BYU has a Paleontology museum. It's not very big, but its free. So, Tuesday morning, we loaded everything up, went out there, got everything unloaded, only to find that the doors were locked. Yeah. Locked. After I promised Jessica dinosaurs, and hyped it up. Oops. Well, I decided that I'd promised her dinosaurs, and I did have some spending money of my own, if we didn't have the money anywhere else, so by golly, she was going to get dinosaurs. (And next time I'd double and triple check to make sure I didn't tell her something that we couldn't actually do). I did end up figuring it out. Tuesday was the 24th of July. In Utah, that is a holiday, commemorating the day the main group of Mormon Pioneers arrived in the Salt Lake Valley. So, BYU, a Mormon school, would obviously be closed. Thanksgiving Point however, is a large enough attraction, that it stayed open. So we drove out to Thanksgiving Point to look at the dinosaur bones there. She keeps talking about it, so I assume she liked it.? Couldn't really tell while we were there. Maybe if she'd had someone to go with other than just me I'd have been able to tell better. I sure like it. But dinosaurs have been a big thing with my family for years and years. Anyway, here's the pictures. Unfortunately, the lighting in most of the rooms made it very difficult for me (with my limited knowledge, and my point-and-click camera) to get GOOD pictures.
I don't remember the name of the prehistoric shark but it was HUGE. They had a model of a Great White Shark (think JAWS) right next to it. (up to the left, Jessica's right, of this picture) The Great White wasn't even as big as this guy's head! And yes, that is a leash on Jessica. Don't knock it. It makes it so I can take her places without having panic attacks about her running away and getting lost/kidnapped.

Okay, really random order, the Shark was at the end of the museum, now we're back at the beginning. Oh well. This one was funny. Jessica saw this shell, and said "It wants to open." So very cute. 

She loves the interactive/climb on/crawl through things. Go figure, she's almost 3. Interactive is way more fun.

Funny, I'd always imagined this dino (Allosaurus) as being closer in size to T-Rex. Huh. He's only like 5 or 6 feet tall.

More interactive stuff. I was very happy about this pic. Yay for photoshop. It was barely visible before. 

They had this cool "erosion table" There were little water springs (right side of picture) that would constantly pour water out, and kids could move around the sand to direct the water flow. 

Not sure on this one. I want to say its supposed to be a baby Triceratops, but I have no idea. There wasn't a sign, and I don't remember Triceratops having sharp cheeks. 

A lot of my pictures ended up like this. So dark and colors so off that this is the best I could do on the editing. Giant sea turtle. No idea on the name. I wish I could have gotten a picture of the skeleton you can kinda see in the background. It curls around the ENTIRE room! (Loch-Ness-Monster-type dino)

    Unfortunately, on the days Jessica and I (and Jacob obviously, but for now, he's just along for the ride) don't go out... its been rough.  We have a really hard time getting along. I'm not sure what it is, or how to fix it. I'm trying, but for now... Here's hoping we both survive toddlerhood. She is cute though. Hilarious story. I'd put her in time-out, (her room) and gone to... put towels away (I think). Well, I suddenly hear "What the heck, I need  the light on!" Said in MY exact toning, but her little voice. Oh. My. Goodness. I laughed so hard. The tones she used were literally the EXACT ones I use. 
     Now Jacob. He's getting so close to crawling.
He'll get up onto hands and knees, all the way now. Not just slightly extended, as it was last week. Not only that, but he then rocks back and forth. Its like he's thinking "I know these work somehow, and I'm supposed to move forward, but I can't get these arms and legs working quite how I want them to."
Then, yesterday, he started doing this. He got his legs to do something, he gets up onto his hands and feet. Still no success at coordinating movement to where he'd be crawling. 

My favorite though...


Is the dancing. He turned the ladybug on about 3 or 4 times, and then danced each time. Otherwise I'd have considered it just his trying to crawl.

2 comments:

Carley said...

Cute cute! I remember going to the museum at Thanksgiving Point with Oscar, Kim, and Tristan. T loved it. I was always fascinated with dinosaurs when I was younger and the Pacific Science Center had a faaaaaabulous dinosaur exhibit... that was always the "treat" I'd ask for when I did something awesome and my parents wanted to reward me. GIVE ME SCIENCE, MOM AND DAD! Heh. Cute pictures, and hey, at least the leash is attached to a cute backpack-type-thing (I think). And Jacob dancing = A+! I sure hope we make it down there!!

Than & Lina said...

Where did you get your leash? I was sooo wishing I had one the other day and decided I should just buy one. I've caught Anika saying a few things with my tone. Some are hilarious and others are not so funny :( I love that picture with Jacob in the hat - adorable and what beautiful/handsome eyes! It sounds like he'll be crawling in no time. I am not excited for Seth to crawl because of some of Anika's toys... hmm.