I don't know what to title the post, so, that's what you get. I don't have tons to write about, but I do have a couple pictures.
| ||
| Look Mama! I can climb stairs. |
| |
| What are these!?!?!?! |
The only other thing to write about is my eye doctor appointment I had on Saturday. I went in, and my eyesight had gotten HUGELY worse. Since my eyesight had remained about the same for the past 4 or 5 years, and "at my age" it usually doesn't make jumps like that, the doctor wondered if it might be something else. Can I just say, I loved this new doctor. (thanks Steph and Nikki for the recommendation) He actually explains WHY he wants me to do something. (Other doctor: "don't wear your contacts more than 12 hours" or "here, use these contacts".) I was wearing my Acuvue 2 contacts for 15-17 hours a day. So, he did tell me to cut down on my usage if I'm going to continue using Acuvue 2, but he also explained why. The cornea doesn't have any blood vessels, so the way it gets its nutrients to keep it alive is through the tears and oxygen. Well, the contacts have to have a certain amount of permeability to wear them for however many hours. For 12 hours of wear, you need a permeability of 25, Acuvue 2 has a permeability of 28. (Higher means more permeable) For the 15-17 hours I've been wearing my contacts, a permeability of 50 is needed. Oops. What happens when your cornea doesn't get enough nutrients is it can start to swell. There isn't really any way of telling except that, it being swollen makes the eye longer. If you are near-sighted as I am, making the eye longer will make your eyesight worse. So, the sudden jump in my prescription may actually be my corneas swelling.
So I had 2 options. The first was a different brand of contacts that was more permeable. So he brought in some with a permeability of 110. But that was the exact brand that the other doctor had said "here use these" (and not explained why) and they were way more expensive, and I'd bought a year's supply, only to find that my eyes HATED them, and they always felt dry, and I even had to wear 1 inside out for my eye to accept it. So I told him, and he brought one with a permeability of 60. My eyes still didn't like that. He said that was actually not terribly uncommon. The material they have to use to make it more permeable makes it less "wettable" (not as easy to wear). So, it looks like my only real choice is to either wear glasses, or wear my contacts for not as long. So, I have another eye appointment in 2 weeks to tell if my corneas did swell (after 2 weeks the swelling should be gone, so my prescription would go back to what it was) or if my eyesight really did get hugely worse.



1 comment:
Who is your new eye doctor? Mine recently explained things wonderfully as well.
Post a Comment